Hey, I’m Chris
And although this mindset pushed me constantly to my limits and beyond and brought me a lot of achievements in life, it was also the main driver into my biggest crisis and break-down blessing and turning point. Because I made one huge mistake that I didn’t notice at that time:
For far too long I behaved as if my energy resources were infinite. I never cared about my depleted energy level and even more critical how little I did to recharge (nothing at that time!).
But I had to learn the hard way that energy is a very precious resource. In fact it is THE most precious resource we have (not time or money). And managing it is the most crucial skill for sustainable high performance and long term achievements.
Things quickly became worse when I decided to build my first company as a side business in night shifts and on the weekend, while still having my 60h+ day job as a corporate executive.
Without even realizing, I was in the middle of a downward spiral. But of course there were signs.
Every single morning it became increasingly hard to get out of bed
Getting less done
The growing frustration from not getting enough things done
Burning eyes all day and night without a single minute of not feeling tired
Never-ending to-do lists
Growing to-do lists that don’t get shorter by working nights and weekends
Of being unproductive, unsuccessful and constantly procrastinating
A blurry mind that made it impossible to solve problems or being creative
Out of energy
No energy left for any kind of social activities with my family and friends.
“In that same moment I decided that I will do whatever it takes to get my energy back.”
On a rainy November day when I took my Labrador Karli out for a walk I suddenly found myself close to a railroad. I hit mental and physical rock bottom and I really thought about putting an end to my struggle.
Although I had everything you could ask for (an own company, more than enough money, success, recognition, true friends and a caring family), something very vital inside of me was missing: I had no energy, no confidence, no happiness left… None. The very next moment, I turned around to my dog and looked into his faithful and gentle brown eyes. I will never forget his intense look that saved my life. It reminded me how simple and beautiful live is. And then I thought ‘No…this couldn’t be it yet!’ I still had too many visions, dreams and goals and so many wonderful people in my life. I decided that I will do whatever it takes to get my energy, my smile and my happiness back. This shocking experience became a turning point in my life. Thank you forever Karli!
On that same day I wrote down how exactly I wanted to feel in 90 days and the first three action steps how to get there. Now I had a plan. I mailed this plan to my parents and one of my best friends to create immediate accountability before I could change my mind. Now I was back in the game and for the first time since months I felt a little less miserable.
Defined my priorities
I got my priorities in order in all major areas of my life and clarity what to focus on
Found my limiting beliefs
I identified my biggest limiting beliefs that held me back and drained my energy
I started meditating daily and learned step by step how to focus and single task again
Changed my nutrition
I made some significant changes to my nutrition (though there is still some upside potential)
Implemented good routines
I began studying everything about routines and habits and how to implement them
Started my gratitude journal
I started writing down three things that I am truly grateful for every day
Celebrated my wins
I started celebrating my achievements (big and small) and being proud of myself
I got clarity about what distracted and overwhelmed me and how to get rid of it
Started to workout
I started to do my favourite sports like running, biking and fitness again
Identified my top 5 values
I identified my 5 most important needs and my top 5 values
Defined my life goals
I figured out what I truely want in life and who I need to become to achieve that
Got rid of toxic people
I got rid of some toxic and energy draining people in my life
Started loving myself
I accepted that self love is not selfish or egoistic but a necessity to love and serve others
Found my life regrets
I figured out what I would truly regret at the end of my life, if I would just continue the way I lived
Energized, Focused And Confident!
This was only the beginning
On my own journey
And even more important what I’ve learned is this: you can really change. Yes it is hard, but it works if you take one step after the next, one at a time. And if I can change… believe me you can, too. You just have to make a decision to start. You have to want to change. And most important, it’s never too late.
But the most important lesson
on my journey was that there is no trade-off between living a super ambitious high performance life and being happy and rested and healthy. In fact our performance improves dramatically when we prioritize our well-being and take coare of ourselves. And the secret how to do this is really simple: strategic recovery.
Once you master this life-changing skill, you can constantly perform at your best without ever running out of energy again. You will have the power to chase any dream without ever getting exhausted or burned out on your way.
For far too long we all have been operating under the false assumption that feeling exhausted and burned out is the neccessary price for being successful. That is far from true!
My own experience as well as the latest science shows that, not only is there no trade-off between high performance and a balanced life, but our performance improves dramatically when we focus on our health and energy. It’s time to move from talking to doing. Let’s get our energy back.
My engines got gradually refueled
And I experienced a higher energy level than ever before. I was back in the high performance arena. I started to experience more success, achievements, adventures and precious moments than ever before.
- I set up my new consulting and coaching business and quickly gained traction in the market place
- I regained my physical strength and finished several marathons, half-marathons and mountain trail runs
- I started to allocate a significant part of my time to spend with my family and friends
- I started to spend 1-2 months per year traveling the world
- I designed my life around my own true goals, values and needs and became independent from the noise around me
- I regained confidence into my mental and physical strength to achieve anything I want
- I started reading for 30 mins. every day
- I found my way to meditate daily (and collected the Headspace 365-consecutive-days badge, STRIKE!!!)
- I prioritized dedicated me-time to enjoy my passions like R&B music, hiking and mountain biking every week
If today was my last day
I wouldn’t regret that much anymore. Now I live the balanced and energized life that I was always striving for. The pulsing change between high intensity sprints and deep renewal phases provides me the energy to push my business and projects forward while still having enough resources to care about myself, my family and my friends.
Of course there’s a thin line
I finally found a way to perform at my highest level without running out of energy. Thanks to my smart recovery strategies I found a way to become a sustainable high performer.
During my journey I also realized that selling premium clothes for men online (which my e-Commerce company was all about) was not the kind of business I was truly passionate about so I closed the company and turned to something more fulfilling and purposeful that makes my heart sing every day.
Energized, Focused And Confident!
Soon people asked me
how I managed to change and if I could help them out with their own struggles and challenges. So I started teaching and sharing what I learned.
What started as my own struggle
turned into my biggest passion and ultimate life purpose: to inspire and help people perform at their best without sacrificing their body, mind and happiness.
That’s why I built proven strategies, systems and tools tha make it easy to implement SMART RECOVERY into the stressful and highly demanding life of high performers and super achievers.
Since the implementation part has always been my biggest challenge, my focus is less on the theory but more on proven and science backed, down to earth implementation tactics that I’ve tried (and optimized) myself.
“If all I do is inspire you to care just a little more about your energy – simply by sharing with you what I learned – then my own struggle had a true and deep purpose.”
But I want to be honest with you.
I cut through all the noise
collecting for you only those things that really work in your life. Because I’ve been exactly where you are now, and found out first-hand what works (and what doesn’t!!). What you get is super-simple ideas, tips and methods you can easily implement in your life right now!
Energized, Focused And Confident!
I Believe in You!
If there is just one thing you take away from this website, it’s to know that someone believes in you. That someone knows you have what it takes to become a sustainable high performer. And trust me when I say… I – Chris Surel – believe in you.
You can make it.
Even if we’ve never actually met (which I hope we’ll do someday), even if I don’t know your story yet. If you’ve read this far, then know this:
You have what it takes!
Who do you believe in?
Who do you know is happy to live a charged and energized life? We all know someone. A family member, a good friend or a colleague who is sometimes struggling with feeling overwhelmed, tired and exhausted. They all will be grateful if someone believes in them. This someone can be us.
Together we can be the ones to believe in them. I believe this website can make a true difference to many people’s lives and I need your help to reach and inspire more of them.
Energized, Focused And Confident!
MEET CHRIS SUREL
SOME MORE ABOUT CHRIS
- High performance and personal development geek
- Always dreamed of becoming a tennis pro (at his best he was top 10 in German junior rankings). But a chronic shoulder injury at the age of 18 destroyed his dream
- Passionate FC Bayern Munich fan, where he played himself until the age of 14 (before he quit soccer to focus on his tennis career)
- Studied international business administration in Ingolstadt and London
- Started his career in strategy consulting
- Was a senior executive at Germany’s biggest loyalty program
- Founded a men’s fashion e-commerce company
- Travelled 30+ countries in the last 10 years
- Addicted to reading and learning
- Meditation freak (he is so proud of his Headspace 365-days-in-a-row Badge and talks about it all the time…)
- Raving black music, hip hop and R&B fan
- Loves to go out with his friends
- Hasn’t missed the Oktoberfest for more than 30 years
- Sports enthusiast (watching doing)
- Marathon “sub 4 hours” and half-marathon runner
- Spends every free minute in the mountains with trail running, hiking or biking
- Uncle of two nephews and one niece
- Loves to support other people to become successful
WHAT CHRIS BELIEVES
- There is no trade-off between high performance and a happy, healthy and fulfilled life
- Our corporate high performance culture is completely broke
- We all can achieve ANYthing (but not EVERYthing!)
- Recovery is the major difference between the sustainable high performers and the exhausted hustlers
- Energy (not money or time) is our most precious resource
- You become what you think and focus on
- The power of habits
- The value of accountability
- The huge power and momentum of crazy and lofty goals
- The power of small baby steps towards your biggest goals
- Technology is a gift (not a threat) when you manage it accordingly
- The importance of life-long learning
- The world belongs to the energetic
- Life can (and should) be simple
- The guiding power of your own intuition
- Respect and honesty is the foundation of every lasting relationship